Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Garden Abounds

Rain and the warm, but not oppressively hot, weather have created near-perfect growing conditions.  That means lots of garden goodies this week.  Look forward to mustard (the hot, spicy curly leaves that look like kale), swiss chard (it is so breathtakingly beautiful that I shout to no one in particular everytime I bunch it), collard greens, arugula, etc. etc.  Luckily, it continues to be cool enough that the lettuce hasn't bolted and the beets are growing slowly but surely.  We've resisted the urge to yank them out and marvel at their ruby redness (well, not entirely true; we did yank a golden beet and it was a sunrise ripped from the soil and so sweet and strange but it made ari's throat swell up :(  no raw beets for him.).

our baby girls are getting big and jumping over the fence of their pen.  they can get out but they haven't quite mastered the getting back in despite ari's tutorials on the three-stop process (jump on the food barrel, jump on the fence, jump down into the pen).  If I can, I will absolutely try to capture this on video and sneak it on here.  The fox has not been seen recently and hopefully it stays that way.

Here's to continued good eating.  I hope to post a recipe for the amazing dinner ari made the other night.  I was out shopping for wedding rings all day and came home to an amazingly simple yet stunning dinner.  Oh, and I made foccaccia last night, too, which I will post later about because there's too much to do right now, what with a wedding to finish planning and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment